Creamy Pumpkin Potato Soup
This homemade, dairy free pumpkin potato soup with canned pumpkin is full of flavor without the hassle of roasting fresh pumpkin.
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 golden or yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut in large cubes medium sized potatoes
- 1 inch knob of ginger root, skin peeled off
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tbs curry powder
- 1/4 tsp chopped sage, fresh
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs coconut cream (optional) for serving
Heat a large saucepan or soup pot to medium high heat. Add olive oil to the hot pot. Add onions and cook 1-2 minutes until translucent and slightly browned.
Add potatoes and ginger to the pot. Stir continuously for 1 minute to keep the potatoes from sticking to the pot. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot and stir. Cook on medium low for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
Remove the ginger knob from the soup and turn the heat off. Use a potato masher or a large fork to puree half of the soup and leave the other half chunky.
To serve: Pour soup into a bowl and top with a tbs of coconut cream (optional). See the post for other great soup topping ideas.
- If you like smooth soups, let the soup cool for 30 minutes, then pour the whole thing into a blender and puree until smooth. Pour back into the pot to heat more if necessary.
- See the post for other great soup topping ideas.