Shrimp in Spicy Tomato Sauce
This shrimp in tomato sauce recipe is an easy seafood dinner that cooks in less than 15 minutes. The sweet shrimp mixes so well with the spicy tomato sauce, that this may be your new favorite shrimp recipe!
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peel and deveined (10-12 shrimp) I love Argentine shrimp because they're super sweet, try these if you can find them
- 1/2 sweet or spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes (puree in a blender)
- 1 tsp capers
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbs flat or Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Place the fresh or thawed shrimp in a bowl. Toss with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Once hot, add olive to the skillet and then add chopped onions. Cook onions (occasionally stirring) for 1-2 minutes until translucent and slightly browned. Add garlic to the pan can cook for 30 seconds.
Add tomato sauce, capers, red pepper flakes and 1/4 tsp of salt to the skillet. Stir and let the sauce simmer for 1-2 minutes. Place each shrimp into the sauce one at a time (try not to dump excess "shrimp juice" from the seasoning bowl into the sauce). Push each shrimp down into the sauce. Cover and simmer for 6 minutes.
Turn off the heat and add parsley to the shrimp. Stir and allow the shrimp to sit in the pan for an additional two minutes before serving. Enjoy!