This Peppermint Hot Chocolate Spread is creamy, rich and surprisingly healthy. It makes the perfect spread for your morning toast or dip for fruit and crackers.
A big bubbling pot of chocolate-y goodness. The clank of a whisk hitting the stove top. The sweet scent of cinnamon wafting through the air. This was Christmas morning for me, the stuff memories are made of. Side note: It also included the Jamaican national dish, ackee and saltfish : )
Growing up I asked my family to ditch the mini marshmallows and the Swiss Miss. I implemented the hot cocoa, from scratch tradition. For years I strenuously stood at the stove top whisking away until my arm muscles lost their verve. The whisking is key to the thick, frothy goodness that a cup of hot cocoa brings. Now that I’m older and potentially wiser (?) though, simplifying the hot cocoa experience was a must.
If you’re ever craving the hot chocolate memory from your childhood, this peppermint hot cocoa spread really hits the spot. It has all the flavors of your favorite hot chocolate but with a spreadable, dunktastic, creaminess you can scoop right out of a jar!
Homemade Nutella has never been so easy
This vegan hot chocolate spread is a creamy combo of chocolate and nuts. It’s like nutella but instead of hazelnuts, it’s studded with cashews. Cashews are very buttery nuts, so they make this spread extra smooth.
Homemade is a great way to go with dips and spreads like this because you have a lot more control.
The benefits of making nutella from scratch:
- It’s made quickly, all in a blender
- You can make it refined sugar free or sugar free if you want to (keep reading for tips on this)
- There’s no added cream, milk or milk powder
Well that’s NUTS!
If you have people in your home who don’t like nuts, this vegan hot chocolate spread will surely trick them. Tim always gets the job of recipe taste tester in our house, but he loathes nuts.
Here’s how our conversation went when he tasted this spread:
Me: “Does it taste good? Is it sweet enough?”
Tim (grimace face pre-loaded): “It does! But I feel like I’m being tricked, I know there are nuts in here.”
So yes, nuts are the main ingredient, but they aren’t the star. Nuts provide the perfect dairy free base to this vegan hot chocolate spread or any creamy vegan dip/spread for that matter.
Since I’m also lactose intolerant, I like using nuts instead of cream, when it makes sense. They’re ideal for dairy-free “cheese” recipes like Dairy Free Sun-dried Tomato and Chicken Quesadillas or thick, creamy sauces like my Creamy Dreamy Almond Butter Dressing.
Mix it up!
As you guys know by now, I like to provide variations for different diets and flavor preferences in case you still want to enjoy a recipe but can’t think of the appropriate swap.
This peppermint hot chocolate spread is already vegan and dairy, so you’re covered there. But since none of our taste buds are the same, there’s always another option.
- Don’t like peppermint?
- You can choose to only use the vanilla and leave the peppermint out completely.
- Swap the peppermint for cinnamon and chili, to make this like Mexican hot chocolate. I’d recommend using 1 tsp of cinnamon and a 1/4 tsp of cayenne powder.
- Need a sugar free option?
- I was on a sugar free kick for a while but I still constantly craved chocolate! There are plenty of stevia sweetened chocolates out there to choose from, but the one that tastes most like the real thing is Phi Kind chocolate chips. If you still need additional sweetness after using this chocolate, you can supplement with some small drops of liquid stevia.
So can you picture it? You nestled up on the couch on Christmas morning, toasty slice of bread in hand generously smeared with this vegan, peppermint hot chocolate spread? It might just be better than that childhood cup of cocoa…plus it’ll last longer!
Are you desperately craving chocolate after reading all of that?! Try making my Ginger and Pistachio Dark Chocolate Bark! Everybody knows Chocolate + More Chocolate = Happiness!
This Peppermint Hot Cocoa Spread is creamy, rich and surprisingly healthy chocolate dip. It makes the perfect spread for your morning toast or dip for fruit and crackers.
- 1 cup soaked cashews soak 1 hour or overnight
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips I recommend Enjoy Life brand
- 1/2 cup coconut milk/coconut cream
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbs maple syrup Tip: Make sure this is pure maple syrup and not pancake syrup
Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
Put chocolate chips and coconut milk/cream into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds to a minute until the chocolate chips are fully melted. Stir together so that it's a smooth, cohesive consistency.
Add all ingredients to a blender. Blend a couple minutes until completely smooth. Refrigerate at least an hour before serving. Enjoy! Note: The dip may be a bit thin when it comes out of the blender, but the refrigeration should firm it right up : )
- I highly recommend Enjoy Life brand allergy free dark chocolate chips. They are completely dairy free and taste delicious!
- I don't like super sweet desserts, but if you want this a little sweeter, add extra maple syrup 1 tsp at a time.
Disclaimer: If you purchase any of the linked products above, I will receive a commission. I do however use the products I recommend and stand by how awesome they are!