This turmeric rice with coconut is an easy, healthy side dish that takes plain brown or white rice and turns it into a vibrant yellow rice gem!
On Sunday mornings the sweet scent of coconut milk and fresh thyme worked it’s way up the stairs. It gently woke me up as a kid. Ahh the smell of nostalgia.
Jamaican rice and peas (they’re actually beans, not peas) is basically sweet and spicy coconut rice and it’s an absolute staple in Jamaican cuisine. Because of the beans and the white rice grains, the rice simmers for hours and the the coconut is infused into every grain.
I’ve actually have never been a huge fan of beans though. I used to eat the Jamaican coconut rice and would push all of the beans to the side of me plate. My family probably wonder where this weird kid who didn’t like beans even came from.
Most days though I don’t have time to simmer rice, beans or a combo of the 2 for hours, so this turmeric rice with coconut is the next best thing and cooks literally in 5 minutes!
How to make turmeric rice with coconut
Making this bright yellow turmeric rice with coconut is simple as pie…except for the fact that pie isn’t simple to make and this rice actually is!
- Add all of the spices to a pan to get toasty
- Add rice and coconut
- Stir, simmer, ENJOY!
Benefits of turmeric powder
Turmeric is a potent root in the ginger family that like ginger has some really amazing health benefits. So it may just seem like you’re eating tasty yellow rice but you may in fact be boosting your immune system in the meantime.
Turmeric is most well known for its:
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Ability to make your skin glowy and beautiful (try adding it to your favorite face mask!)
- Potential to reduce cholesterol
- Aiding digestion
Turmeric powder isn’t as potent as fresh turmeric root but it’s harder to find in your standard grocery store. You might have better luck finding fresh turmeric at an Asian grocery store like my favorite chain from when we lived in DC, H-Mart. If you don’t have and H-Mart near you can try a health food store, farmer’s market or Whole Foods.
And of course the other option is just using turmeric powder. It’s bright yellow, can’t be missed and in every grocery store spice aisle.
What to eat with this turmeric rice?
Because the rice is full of spices you want to eat it with something mild or a main that compliments to flavors in the rice.
Here are some options:
- 2 cups pre-cooked brown rice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut milk or water
- Heat a deep skillet to medium high heat. Add olive oil and garlic to the pan, stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add all of the spices to the garlic oil and stir until combined. Add rice, coconut flakes and coconut milk to the spices and stir until all of the rice is bright and yellow. Enjoy!
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to see how it turned out! Snap a picture and tag @brightrootskitchen or use #brightrootskitchen on Insta.