These turkey taquitos are a healthy, portable lunch or dinner jam packed with veggies and protein. They cook quickly and are perfect for picky eaters because you can hide all the nutritious goodies in the meat!
As with most of my recipes, these taquitos came about by mistake. I planned to make meatballs… but I didn’t have the necessary ingredients.
There were however some old tortillas in the back of the fridge and pre-made salsa. Dinner was born! My tortilla rolling skills can use some work though. I know the Spanish “ito” implies that these are small, but they’re between actual taquitos and sauce-less chimichangas in size.
The benefit of my inefficient tortilla rolling is that these babies are a great size for dinner. Not too big or small, just right.
I used wheat tortillas, but corn would be equally delicious. The filling has all the good stuff too: turkey, kale and peppers. My goal is always to make healthy swaps without compromising on taste.
Here are the subs for this recipe:
- Flour tortillas → Wheat tortillas
- Ground Beef or Pork → Ground Turkey
- Sour Cream → Guacamole
- Cheese → More Guacamole (same delicious creaminess as cheese)
- Side of white rice → Spicy brown rice with corn
The best thing about ground meat dishes, is if you have picky eaters in your house, you can hide all types of veggies in the meat. All you need to do is chop everything really finely. Once it’s stirred with the meat and wrapped in a tortilla, no one will be the wiser. Though I guess you would be the wise one for sneaking in all the healthy ingredients. Kudos to you!
- 1/2 spanish onion finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, small finely chopped
- 16 oz ground turkey
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 cup golden raisins finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup tomato salsa I like Sabra's mild salsa
- 1/2 cup kale finely chopped
- 8 whole wheat tortillas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers and cook 2-3 minutes until onions have softened. Add ground turkey to pan and use a wooden spoon break the meat into smaller bits while it cooks. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, paprika, raisins, tomato paste, salsa and kale. Stir ingredients around. Simmer on low for 3-5 minutes. Turn heat off.
- Pat water onto each side of each tortilla and microwave in paper towel for 10 seconds (this will make the tortilla easier to roll).
- Place 3 spoonfuls of meat in a long line 1/4 way up the tortilla. Roll tortilla to cover the meat, tuck in the sides, and roll until completely closed. Use 2 toothpicks to close the tortilla.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add olive oil to hot pan. Cook each taquito on medium high for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown. Remove toothpicks. Enjoy!