These creamy mango overnight oats with coconut milk are dairy free, vegan and conveniently made in a jar for breakfast on the go.
The alarm starts blaring…UGH.
You hit snooze.
It goes off again.
You hit snooze again.
Twenty minutes later you finally get up and your stomach is a’growling. You could spend 20 more minutes scrambling together a “real” breakfast.
Or you can make these mango overnight oats with coconut milk the night before and grab them on your way out.
P.S. If you have 3 mins and a glass jar, you have healthy breakfast oatmeal that tastes like it took all day to cook.
How to make mango overnight oats
I always avoided making oatmeal from scratch with old fashioned oats because it requires stovetop cooking and constant stirring. With overnight oatmeal though, you don’t have to worry about your arm cramping from standing over the pot.
All you need to do is:
- Chuck all of the ingredients into a seal-able jar
- Shake that jar like a polaroid picture!
- Put the jar in the fridge
- Wake up in the morning and tada breakfast is ready. EASY PEASY.
If the idea of cold, soft oatmeal doesn’t float your boat, not to worry!
To combat this cold, moist situation all you have to do (I do this too!) is pop these coconut milk overnight oats in the microwave for 2 minutes and you’re all set.
Overnight oat toppings and milk choices
When I make these mango overnight oats, I make them vegan and dairy-free because I’m lactose intolerant but your options are truly endless with this oatmeal recipe.
Your milk options: The milk you choose will have a big impact on the creaminess of your oatmeal.
- Coconut milk – this keeps the mango overnight oats super creamy but also adds to the tropical flair
- Almond milk- still creamy but a more subtle flavor
- Regular milk
- Yogurt and a splash of milk = creamy x5!
For extra texture: Because the overnight oatmeal is extra creamy it’s good to balance it out with an extra crunch.
- Macadamia nuts
- Chia seeds
- Sliced almonds
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg I recommend freshly grating it over the pre-ground spice
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk You can use any type of milk you like though; a blend of equal parts coconut milk and almond milk is really nice (and still creamy) if you want a more subtle coconut flavor
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chopped mangoes You can use thawed frozen mangoes if you can't find them fresh
- pinch of salt
- Add rolled oats, nutmeg, milk of your choice, maple syrup, mangoes and salt to a mason jar.
- Seal and shake the jar for 15 seconds and then refrigerate overnight.
- Eat cold in the morning or microwave for 1-2 minutes until oats are cooked through.
- Top with more mango, unsweetened coconut flakes or any of your other favorite toppings (see post for tips). Enjoy!
- You can use any type of milk you like though; a blend of equal parts coconut milk and almond milk is really nice (and still creamy) if you want a more subtle coconut flavor
- I recommend freshly grating nutmeg over buying the pre-ground spice. It lasts longer, is more cost effective and tastes better : )
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to see how it turned out! Snap a picture and tag @brightrootskitchen or use #brightrootskitchen on Insta.