These 30 minute crispy chicken tostadas are a perfect easy dinner for taco night. There’s an added kick from the chipotle guacamole and tangy pico de gallo.
It really feels like warm weather will never show up, so I’m channeling summery foods this week.
Maybe whipping up tostadas and spicy guacamole will somehow bring some sun too?
Not sure if that’ll work, but fingers crossed just in case.
I started making these a couple years ago as a twist on Taco Tuesday. The best part of these tostadas though are definitely the crispy corn tortillas.
Then there’s the “melody” of all your toppings falling off. You have to be resourceful when that happens though…I like to use the crispy tortilla bits as a spoon. It’s so simple, but also tasty so I don’t like leaving any bits behind.
Honestly the taste is surprising every time we eat these for dinner. I think these are the best tostadas, because the flavor bursts sort of sneak up on you. When the lime juice in the pico de gallo mixes the chipotle guacamole, it’s like magic. I always like when there’s a good balance between sweet, salty and sour. These chicken tostadas definitely achieve that.
Before trying these I always thought about how to make tostadas. Tortillas are usually fried at restaurants for the crunch factor.
Since I strive for healthy swaps, I bake the tortillas instead but I promise they still get plenty crunchy. I’m always scared to crack a filling on these babies!
The other swap here is the chipotle guacamole. A tex-mex version of this dinner would include a chipotle sour cream or mayo, but I trade that out for nature’s mayo.
I like to call avocados nature’s mayo because they’re super rich and creamy but still somehow good for you.
Looking for another meal to suit your taco kick? Try my Tacos with Homemade Turkey Chorizo Sausage recipe!
Pin this recipe on Pinterest, share it on Instagram and let me know what you think in the comments!
Chicken Tostadas with Chipotle GuacamoleRate this Recipe:
- 4 white corn tortillas
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 8 chicken tenderloin strips cut in small cubes
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Pico de Gallo
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 sweet onion finely diced
- 1/2 jalepeno, seeds removed finely chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 lime juice only
- 2 haas avocados
- 1 1/2 tbsp chipotles in adobo pureed
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pico de Gallo: Cut the lime in half. Squeeze the juice of one half on the chopped onions. Let them sit for 2 minutes (Tip: The lime juice cuts the raw onion flavor). Add tomatoes, jalapeno,, olive oil, salt and pepper to the onions. Squeeze on the other half of the lime juice and stir. Let sit for 5 minutes (to soak up the delicious flavor!)
- Chipotle Guacamole: Cut avocados in half. Remove the seeds and skin. Use a fork to mash avocado, leaving it slightly chunky. Stir in chipotle, smoked paprika, salt, pepper and smoked paprika. Set aside.
- With a pastry brush, brush olive oil (2 tbsp on all 4 tortillas) on both sides of each tortilla. Sprinkle 1 side of each tortilla with smoked paprika. Bake 10-12 minutes until crispy.
- In a large bowl, season chicken with 2 tbsp smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, salt and pepper. Heat a skillet to medium high heat. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to pan. Add seasoned chicken and spread it out evenly in the pan. Let cook for 5 minutes without stirring, allowing the chicken to crisp up. Use a spatula to chop up the chicken in the pan. Stir and let cook for 1-2 more minutes until cooked through.
- To assemble, smear a thin layer of guacamole on the tostada. Top with chicken, pico de gallo and more guacamole. Enjoy!
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to see how it turned out! Snap a picture and tag @brightrootskitchen or use #brightrootskitchen on Insta.