This cherry walnut overnight oatmeal recipe is perfect for busy mornings or breakfast on the go. It’s customizable, healthy and full of flavor.
Breakfast has always been tricky for me. It’s a weird balance of having something filling without feeling weighed down. I’ve never skipped it though. Maybe that’s because I love to eat and skipping a meal feels outrageous.
I usually save stacks of pancakes or waffles for weekends when I can move slow and take naps.
But for workdays, I enjoy something simple and filling. Oats are really perfect for that type of balance.
Note: Make sure that it’s rolled oats; one thing that is consistently true about instant oats is that they make you instantly hungry!
This oatmeal is loaded with ginger and cinnamon to keep you warm in the dead of winter. This recipe is really versatile too.
Quick breakfast on the go
I usually put all the ingredients in a mason jar the night before, shake it up and let it soak.
In the morning I microwave it for 2 minutes, top with walnuts and coconut flakes and voila, 2 min breakfast!
If you have more time, you can cook these on the stovetop too (no overnight soaking required). It’ll take about 20 minutes of simmering on low, but it’s really whatever you prefer.
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 5 frozen dark cherries cut in quarters
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes optional
- Add rolled oats, ginger, cinnamon, milk, maple syrup, cherries and salt to a mason jar.
- Shake the jar for 15 seconds and refrigerate overnight.
- Microwave for 1-2 minutes until oats are cooked through.
- Top with walnuts, coconut flakes and extra milk (if desired).
- The recipe is for a 1 person portion since it’s made in a mason jar.
- Stovetop or microwave friendly.
Did you try this recipe? I’d love to see how it turned out! Snap a picture and tag @brightrootskitchen or use #brightrootskitchen on Insta.