This charred scallion and fennel flatbread is a quick 20 minute snack or light lunch. It’s a healthier take on traditional pizza and uses whole wheat pitas as the crust.
Sometimes I’m just craving a salty snack. Some ridges potato chips and a cheesy, creamy dip are easy go-to’s when I’m touring around the grocery store snack aisle. The problem is that it feels like you have to choose between taste and what’s good for you. Want to hear a secret? You don’t have to choose! There’s a way to have a balance of decadence and goodness.
I always try to find food swaps that taste good but won’t put a dent in my belt buckle. In this recipe I went with these swaps:
- Potato chips → Toasted whole wheat pita
- Creamy dip → Herb based dip
- Cream cheese → Light layer of cheddar (I like to use a microplane to grate cheese; you get a finer grate, so end up using less cheese)
This flatbread is an easy snack to make when you need that salty fix. It’s also great appetizer for guests. If you’re looking to mix up your Superbowl menu this weekend, try making these and cutting them into chip sized triangles. If you feel like being fancy, you can top each triangle with shrimp. *Warning* you might eat these up before you have time to top them with shrimp…
- 2 multi-grain pitas
- 1/3 cup white cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 scallions
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to to taste
- 1/4 bulb fennel, thinly sliced Save fronds (dill-like tops) for garnish
- Turn on the broiler. Cut the ends off the scallions. Lightly drizzle olive oil on them and place on a foil lined baking sheet. Broil 3-5 minutes until scallions are slightly charred and soft in texture.
- Place pitas in the broiler 2-4 minutes until slightly crunchy. Top warm pitas with cheddar cheese to let the heat melt the cheese.
- In a blender or food processor, blend charred scallions, parsley, olive oil, water, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper until mostly smooth (I like to leave a few chunks in there, but you can blend it more if you like).
- Top the pita with scallion spread, fennel slices and fennel fronds. Enjoy!